Most Important Safety System
The brake system of your vehicle is by far the most important safety system that it has. Being able to slow down or stop at a moment’s notice will help to avoid an incident or accident. Improperly working brakes will not do the job they are designed to do and will not be as effective when needed, especially in a panic stop situation.
Regular Brake Inspection
Brakes should be regularly inspected, we recommend having your trusted repair facility regularly test drive the vehicle to see how the brake system functions. In a visual brake inspection, the following should be performed:
- Measuring pad and shoe thickness.
- Check for even wear of the brake pads and shoes.
- Check rotors for run out and hot spots.
- Check hardware to make sure it is working and adjusted properly.
- Inspect the wheel cylinders brake lines, hoses and brake master cylinder for leaking.
- Inspect calipers for wear, free movement, and fluid leaks.
- Check the level and condition of the brake fluid.
- Inspect for proper routing and placement of the brake and antilock brake sensors.
All of these components need to be in good shape and working properly for the vehicle to have a 100% brake system effectiveness while driving. For instance, something that seems simple is the brake fluid, it can get contaminated over time with the absorption of moisture and copper, this can decrease the effectiveness of the hydraulics within your brake system causing a less responsive brake pedal to the touch or feel, therefore causing a slight delay or reduction in braking power.
Check Brakes Every 6 Months or 6,000 Miles
We recommend having your brake system inspected with each oil change or at minimum every 6 months or about every 6,000 miles. Then if the inspection reveals any issues with the brake system for your own safety and the safety of others, have it repaired to keep the brake system of your vehicle operating at 100% effectiveness. Safety is the key to preventing accidents. Happy motoring!
Karen Johnston, AUTO REPAIR INSIDER
All About Automotive, 139 NW 2nd Street, Gresham, OR 97030
Steve and Karen Johnston are owners of All About Automotive, providing auto repair and auto maintenance in Historic Downtown Gresham. If you have questions or comments, call them at 503-465-2926 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.